Monday, September 28, 2009

Non apple picking


Today we went apple picking. However, we didn't pick any apples because the line was huge to get on the hayride to get up to the trees:


So instead, we played in the pumpkin patch:


And they had a petting zoo, where Maya enjoyed giggling at many animals:

While we were there, a chicken was cooking at home in the crockpot. For those interested in the prolific chicken recipes, I'm going to talk chicken . . . if you don't care about chicken, skip ahead. Anyway, I left it cooking all day and then separated the meat tonight. I have the bones, skin, etc still cooking now to make chicken broth overnight.
Broth: Chicken carcass, including a lot of skin, all of the juices that cooked out of the chicken during the day, 2 small onions, a few cloves of garlic, 2 or 3 carrots, 2 or 3 stalks of celery, 2 or 3 bay leaves, 8ish cups of water and 4 boullion cubes (maybe it's cheating but I like the saltiness). I let it cook for a long time, if it's too watery I add more spices, or if it's too salty I add more water.). Tomorrow I'll strain out the solids, throw away skin & bones, and I blend the veggies in a food processor and pour it back into the broth to add depth.
In other news, Maya hasn't been sleeping well lately so we've asked her to move out:

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the broth recipie! Its on the list of slow cooker projects! We also just got a food dehydrator, I could see you being a whiz with those too, if you have any ideas for yet another kitchen tool - I'm all ears!