Monday, July 18, 2011

Listen up!

Before this afternoon, Maya's spontaneous vocabulary was only 1 word:  Bye.  She loves bye and bye-bye and will shout them any time someone appears to be leaving anywhere.  People stand up at the dog run? "Bye-bye!"  We pass by someone in the hallway? "Bye!"  We leave the apartment? "Bye-bye.  A-bye.  Bye!"

(She can also say "mama" and "dada" but those are generally prompted.  And  "Mmmmm" can mean: milk, Maisy, Maisy video, moon, more, cow or moo.  "Hhhh" ("ha", but the a is silent) means "help".  These sounds are word precursors, but not true words, you know?  Like, we understand them, but not other folks.)

But this afternoon, with her fabulous speech therapist (who I know is probably reading this!) Maya latched on to another word. 

And it's soooooooooooooo cute.



Did you hear that sweet little voice?  Saying a real word?  It's like a drop of rain to a man in the desert . . . on one hand, I wanted to jump out of my skin with excited, grateful celebration  . . . and then, so quickly, a thirsty voice in my head says "More, more, give me more, talk more." 

It will come. 

PS.  How cute is it that "done" appears to be a full body effort?  Adorable.

PPS.  Her first two clear words are "bye-bye" and "done".  We've got a strong willed little girl on our hands :)


(Hearing update:  We've got nothing.  More tests today solidified what we already know---when she uses both ears, in a quiet room, her hearing seems to be normal.  We need more detailed data, but it's difficult to tease out of her, as some of the tests are too sophisticated just yet.  We'll return at the end of the summer, and will be teaching her a new way to take a certain behavioral test between now and then.)

9 comments:

Erica said...

such enunciation! its beautiful!!

grandma said...

i just love how it seems she almost bows as she finishes her word "done". i think "tah dah" will be next :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow! This brought tears to my eyes. I know how hard won this was. Go Maya! Jack has been supposedly saying "I want" in therapy and after a half hour of half cring and saying "mmmmn ... Mmmm ". I thought of trying some Milk! There came the "I want"! Brilliant.
3 cheers for our kids!

Krystle said...

I'm so happy for you!!!
Go Maya!!!

Kristen said...

Love it!!

Sarah said...

Oh my cuteness! I love it!

Jo-Anne said...

Clear as day! Way to go Maya!!! =)

Anonymous said...

I so get your drop of rain comment. Every step is such a huge victory. Way to go Maya!

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Maya!!

Allie